Sasha's Lemon Drizzle Cake
For the cake
- 225g unsalted butter , softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- finely grated zest 2 lemons
- 225g self-raising flour
For the drizzle topping
- juice 2 lemons
- 50g caster sugar
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
- Beat together 225g softened unsalted butter and 225g caster sugar until
pale and creamy
- Add 4 eggs, one at a time, slowly mixing through.
- Sift in 225g flour, then add the finely grated zest of 2 lemons and mix until
- Line a loaf tin (8 x 21cm) with greaseproof paper (or, easier, use a cake tin
liner), then spoon in the mixture.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until a thin skewer inserted into the centre of the cake
comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooling in its tin, mix together the juice of 2 lemons and
50g caster sugar to make the drizzle.
- Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or fork, then pour over the drizzle -
the juice will sink in and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp topping.
- Leave in the tin until completely cool, then remove and serve.
- Will keep in an airtight container for 3-4 days, or freeze for up to 1 month.